Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson: Friends In Shock

michael-jackson:-friends-in-shockMichael Jackson's death has sent shockwaves through the world of showbiz. Here are some of the tributes left to the star.

Ex-wife Lisa Marie Presley: "I am so very sad and confused with every emotion possible. I am heartbroken for his children, who I know were everything to him and for his family. This is such a massive loss on so many levels, words fail me."

Madonna: "I can't stop crying over the sad news. I've always admired Michael Jackson - the world has lost one of its greats but his music will live on forever."

Britney Spears: "I was so excited to see his show in London. We were going to be on tour in Europe at the same time and I was going to fly in to see him. He has been an inspiration throughout my entire life and I'm devastated he's gone!"

Whitney Houston: "I am full of grief."

Max Clifford, speaking to Sky News Online: "I spoke to him three or four months ago, as he wanted Jade Goody to come to one of the London concerts. Now, the irony is that both of them are dead. Phoning Jade meant so much to her."

Jamie Foxx: "You cannot say enough about what he has given to us musically and culturally. We take for granted people like him. ... All he wanted to do was give us great music and that's what he did. Every single day was dedicated to us."

Justin Timberlake: "We have lost a genius and a true ambassador of not only pop music, but of all music."

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger: "Michael was a pop phenomenon who never stopped pushing the envelope of creativity. Though there were serious questions about his personal life, Michael was undoubtedly a great entertainer and his popularity spanned generations and the globe."



Cher: "I am having a million reactions. When I think of him, I think of this young boy, this teenager I first met…He was a great teenager, optimistic and adorable."

Actress Jane Fonda, writing on Twitter: "I am stunned. My friend, Michael Jackson is dead. He lived with me for a week on the Golden Pond set after 'Thriller.'"

Music legend Quincy Jones, who produced Michael Jackson's legendary "Thriller" album: "He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him."

Celine Dion: "Michael Jackson has been an idol for me all my life...It feels like when Kennedy died, when Elvis died. My sympathy goes to the family. It's a big loss and it's not even sinking in right now."

Mark Lester, friend and child star of Oliver!: "I spoke to Michael a few days ago. He seemed so positive and confident. This is a complete and utter shock. It's devastating."

Donna Summer: "Michael's greatness was perfection. His death has come as a total shock."

The Rev Al Sharpton, a leading US civil rights campaigner and friend of Jackson: "As a friend of Michael's for the past 35 years, I call on people from around the world to pray for him and his family."

Liza Minnelli: "He was one of the greatest entertainers that ever lived."

Steven Spielberg: "His talent, his wonderment and his mystery make him legend."

Phil Sutcliffe, from Mojo Magazine: "He had the extraordinary effrontery to call himself the King of Pop, but that's actually what he was, and for a long, long time."

Dame Elizabeth Taylor: She is "too devastated by the passing of her dear friend Michael Jackson to issue a statement at this time," according to a rep.

MC Hammer: "I will be mourning my friend, brother, mentor and inspiration."

Don Cornelius, creator/host of Soul Train: "His passing will be grieved far beyond that of any other singer, composer, producer, dancer and choreographer in the history of the world. Indeed, in my very firmest personal belief, there will never, ever be another Michael Jackson."

Glastonbury Festival organiser Emily Eavis said on Twitter: "So sad to hear the news about MJ. There will be tributes all over the site all weekend. A truly great artist. Emily."

Jackson, who was 50, apparently died after suffering a heart attack at his home in Los Angeles.

Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore's husband: "RIP. Sending love and light to family and friend but especially his kids."

Actress Demi Moore: "I am greatly saddened for the loss of both Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson. Especially for their children!"

Musician John Mayer: "Michael Jackson, like James Brown and Prince, are nearly uncoverable. The tunes were about his innate talent and can't really be replicated...I truly hope he is memorialized as the '83 moonwalking, MTV owning, mesmerizing, unstoppable, invincible Michael Jackson."

P. Diddy: "He showed me that you can actually see the beat. He made the music come to life!"

Uri Geller: "Like the whole world I'm absolutely devastated and lost for words because everyone expected him to come to London for the concerts."

Katie Price, aka Jordan, said on Twitter: "ooooh my god sooo shocked rest in peace mj you were the KING OF POP a total legend xxxxxxxxxxx."

Usher: "I would not be the artist, performer, and philanthropist I am today without the influence of Michael...He broke barriers, he changed radio formats. With music, he made it possible for people like Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama to impact the mainstream world."

Rapper Ice-T: "We will always love, miss and remember your greatness."

Friend and actor Joe Pesci: "He was a fun kid and did so much. He always reinvented himself time and time again and certainly was a great entertainer and dancer and great to watch with all that energy."

Singer Dionne Warwick: We have lost an icon in our industry. He will live on in my memory and most definitely through the music he shared with so many."

Foreign Secretary David Miliband, on Twitter: "Never has one soared so high and yet dived so low. RIP Michael."

Hollywood journalist Gayl Murphy: "He was the Elvis of his day. He took what we knew and put it into hyperdrive and changed every single thing about it and then gave it back to us."

Sky News entertainment correspondent Steve Hargrave, in Glastonbury, said: "We can't underestimate the effect this will have on Michael Jackson fans who have loved his music and career.

"They would have been assuming that in about three weeks time their idol would have been back on the stage performing his greatest hits. To suddenly find out this news will be devastating."

No comments:

Post a Comment

use

People.com Latest News